- Spring cleaning, detoxification for your body: a detox gives your body a chance to deal with the accumulation of toxins in fat tissue. Spring is the best time to detoxify as we naturally begin to eat more plant based foods and are able to find more vegetable selections in the grocery store.
- Detoxify your house (AKA more spring cleaning): clean up any mold, dust and chemical residue from the house. Go through old items and have a garage sale or give them to the Salvation Army. Your stuff can hold you back from life. Also, consider the products you use on a daily basis (shampoo, conditioner, makeup, dishsoap etc), look at the ingredients and think about what you are absorbing from these products, consider a switch if necessary.
- Supercharge your energy with contrast showers: spring is also the perfect time to get your circulation and lymphatic systems flowing. Start with a warm shower and then turn it to cold for 30 seconds, go back to warm again for 1 minute and repeat 30 seconds cold 3 more times. Always finish with the cold on your lower back to increase your natural energy for the day.
- Ease into activities that you haven't been doing all winter, especially if you have been inactive or house bound. Most injuries occur when people try to go as hard as they did at the end of last season and their body isn't ready for it. If you haven't been training in the off season, give yourself a little time.
- Get a handle on your allergies: Sick of sniffling and sneezing? Underlying food allergies can be the culprit! Elminating the offending foods can help reduce the symptoms and severity of seasonal allergies. Testing can be done at Momentum Health.
Spring Health Tips from Dr. Katie
Katie Coombs, ND
A naturopathic doctor and a woman who loves life, the outdoors and exercise.