- Wash your hands frequently with regular soap and water
- Increase your Vitamin D to 4000IU per day to increase your immune system
- Homeopathic immune boosting shots to help prevent colds/ flus by your ND
- Eat a wide variety of vegetables or take a greens supplement powder
- Avoid sugar as it paralyses your white blood cells and immune response
- Get adequate sleep and hydration
Once you are starting to feel unwell, it is time to take some more drastic measures. There are some really nasty viruses going around this fall already and if you can take care of yourself in the beginning stages, you can assist your immune system to be better able to fight the infection.
- Increase vitamin C, your body uses more of it when you are sick
- Avoid sugar, bananas and dairy, they produce mucous
- Drink hot liquids or tea with lemon
- Cook foods to help with digestion
- Herbal antimicrobials/ antivirals
- Get lots of sleep and take the day off of work/ school
Inducing a temperature increase or fever can help the immune system to amp up its efficacy. Steam baths/ inhalations, saunas or warming sock treatments are great ways of doing this.
Warming Sock Treatment
This may sound unbearable but it is great to help increase the body temperature.
- Soak a pair of cotton socks in water and place in freezer
- Put frozen socks on feet right before bed, cover with a pair of thick wool socks
- Add garlic, essential oils or other antimicrobial substances to bottoms of feet
- As you sleep, your body will absorb the antimicrobials and warm the socks by increasing the core body temperature.
If you would like to book an appointment with Dr. Katie Coombs, ND to address your immunity or another concern please contact the most convenient momentum health clinic near you.